Build on the Deadlift move and fast-track your strength with the Sumo Deadlift High Pull.
Start off light with this one then gradually add weight as you continue your CrossFit journey.
Here’s a demonstration of a Sumo Deadlift High Pull from CrossFit expert James Hobart:
Keep these positioning tips in mind when performing a Sumo Deadlift High Pull:
- Hip-width stance
- Hands inside legs with full grip on the bar
- Knees in line with toes
- Shoulders slightly in front of bar at set up
- Lumbar curve maintained
- Hips and shoulders rise at the same rate
- Hips then extend
- Heels down until hips and legs extend
- Shoulders then shrug, followed by a pull of the arms
- Elbows move high and outside
- Bar moves over the middle of the foot
- Complete at full hip and knee extension with bar pulled under the chin
Twelve steps for one move! It seems like a lot but the fact is if you don’t position your body correctly you are putting yourself at risk of injury.
Have a trainer watch you performing the Sumo Deadlift High Pull so he or she can point out how to optimise your strength building and limit the possibility of hurting yourself.
Next: Check out Fundamental Movement #9 The Medicine Ball Clean